This post will help you make an informed decision on what the best flooring option for your home is.
Did you know that the floor is the largest surface in your house? That is why it is so important to get it right when you choose flooring for your home.
What the best type of flooring for your home is will depend on many factors like your budget, your lifestyle and your home design and decor preferences.
It will also, of course, depend on the features and benefits of flooring types.
Some popular options for flooring today include wood, vinyl, tile and carpet.
In this blog post, we will cover the 10 most popular types of flooring for your home, the features and advantages and disadvantages of each.
Hardwood flooring is made of milled wood and is solid wood. The quality makes it a popular choice with home owners.
However it can prove expensive to buy, and also needs a fair bit of maintenance.
Main pros of hardwood flooring
- Boosts the value of your home.
- Can be refinished many times.
Main cons of hardwood flooring
- Can get scratched in high-traffic areas.
- Can get damaged by moisture.
One of the main pros of hardwood flooring is that it has character and boosts your home valuation. One of the main cons is that it’s expensive.
Enter engineered wood flooring.
It offers the look of real/hard wood flooring but at a more reasonable price.
It’s durable and can last for a long time with the right maintenance.
Main pros of engineered wood flooring
- Most good varieties include a layer of hardwood on top.
- More moisture-resistant than real wood.
Main cons of engineered wood flooring
- Can’t be refurbished multiple times.
- Will start fading with time.
- Can sound hollow under your feet.
As we have already seen, tile is one of the most popular flooring options for houses. It is readily available, affordable, and offers a lot of looks.
Tile is most used in moisture-heavy areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
There are different options for tile flooring, ranging from ceramic to porcelain and stone. As you can guess, the cost depends on the tile material that you choose.
Main pros of tile flooring
- You can get them in various sizes.
- Maintenance and repairs are fairly easy.
- Waterproof, durable and lasts long.
Main cons of tile flooring
- Some types can be expensive.
- The initial installation can be difficult, and needs extensive preparation.
- Some types (like stone) can feel cold.
Vinyl (Luxury Vinyl)
Made of plastic, vinyl flooring is available in plank, sheet and tile form.
This kind of flooring is very water-resistant and won’t be damaged even if water sits on it for long.
Two kinds of vinyl – luxury vinyl plank and luxury tile – have become popular recently.
Main pros of tile flooring
- Easy to install.
- Durable; water-resistant and doesn’t fade easily.
- Not high-maintenance.
- Many looks and choices available.
Main cons of vinyl flooring
- Can be relatively expensive.
- Even though it isn’t high-maintenance, the maintenance costs can run up with time.
If you are asked why carpet flooring is so popular with homeowners, what would you say?
It’s because carpets come in a variety of colours and textures, and also because they’re very affordable and easy to handle.
Main pros of carpet flooring
- Feels very comfortable on the feet.
- Makes the space look great.
- Available in multiple colours and designs.
- Good for soundproofing.
Main cons of carpet flooring
- Difficult to clean.
- Can show stains.
- Will begin to show wear after a while.
While linoleum is commonly confused with vinyl, they’re different materials with different features.
To start with, linoleum is made of linseed oil and cork, making it eco-friendly. It’s affordable and easy to install.
Water damage won’t be an issue as long as the water doesn’t penetrate through to the substrate below.
Main pros of linoleum flooring
- Small hits aren’t an issue.
- Available in lots of colours and patterns.
Main cons of linoleum flooring
- A bit more extensive physical damage can be permanent.
- Easily cut.
- Doesn’t increase home value like hardwood does.
- May fade and/or turn yellow if exposed to sunlight.
A good flooring option if you don’t like carpet flooring, but also want to avoid the cost and maintenance associated with wood or tile flooring.
The flooring consists of a base of particleboard wood, on top of which there may be some decorative elements, with everything topped by a clear plastic layer.
Main pros of laminate flooring
- More affordable than wood flooring.
- Cleaning and maintenance-friendly.
- Resistant to being scratched.
- Various looks (styles and colours) available.
Main cons of laminate flooring
- Chips easily.
- Can suffer moisture damage.
- Does not feel like wood. Sometimes may not look a lot like wood either.
Natural stone types, like granite, marble and sandstone are well known to be great flooring options for both indoor and outdoor spaces.
Maintenance depends on the finish of the stone.
On the other hand, stone offers a premium look that cannot be matched by any other kind of flooring.
Main pros of stone flooring
- Adds value to your house, as it gives the space a premium look.
- Long lasting.
- Extremely durable and waterproof.
Main cons of stone flooring
- Difficult to install. Can be difficult to maintain.
- Not DIY-friendly.
- Can feel cold to the feet.
Bamboo is a grass – which happens to be tough in nature. It can be engineered to be even more tough and resistant to damage.
This makes it a very eco-friendly and also affordable flooring option.
It’s available in both tile and plank form.
Finally, you can get it both finished (as in with finishes applied) and non-finished.
Main pros of bamboo flooring
- You can add stains and finishes if you get it in non-finished form.
Main cons of bamboo flooring
- May not be able to resist water damage.
- Not as tough as wood and stone flooring.
With modern technology, concrete flooring is emerging as one of the best flooring options.
Particularly, modern staining and stamping methods have made this kind of flooring available to everyone to fashion as they need.
There are many design possibilities – radiant heating to inlaid tile.
Main pros of concrete flooring
- Very resilient to water and physical damage.
- Long lasting.
- Does not fade.
Main cons of concrete flooring
- Not DIY-friendly.
- Needs a lot of work to install.
- Maintenance may prove to be a bit laborious.
Flooring options for your home – a final word
Flooring is one of the most important parts of home design in Bangladesh.
As you can see there are multiple options for your flooring. You can check them on various points like pricing, DIY-friendly or not, whether they damage easily, whether they are long-lasting, and so on.
Which flooring option do you like the most?